Polyvine Heavy Duty Extreme Varnish is the ultimate water-based varnish. Cross-linking polyurethane with enhanced resin technology, this varnish is perfect for most interior and exterior wooden surfaces, even up to industrial level.
Perfect for wooden floors, wooden panelling, worktops, doors and wooden furniture. It can also be used on concrete paving, unglazed tiles, slate, brick and much more.
Re-coatable in just 30 minutes and fully cured after just 16 hours. Contains UV filters to combat wood greying and deterioration. Also contains biocides to protect substrate surfaces against mould, mildew and fungus.
Please Note: This product is not suitable for use on exterior bare Oak.
Features and Highlights
- A heavy duty water-based polyurethane varnish for interior and exterior use
- Perfect for wood floors, worktops and furniture
- Provides very high heat resistance
- Suitable for concrete, unglazed tiles and brick
- Resistant to mould, mildew and fungus
- Contains UV filters to protect against sun damage
- Fast drying, fully cured in just 16 hours
- Low V.O.C
Ensure that surfaces to be varnished are clean, dry and free from dust, dirt, grease, wax, polish and any other surface contaminants.
Bare or New Wood
- Fill any gaps or minor imperfections in the wood with a suitable wood filler
- Lightly sand bare or new wood to provide a key
- Take care to remove all traces of sanding dust prior to varnishing
- Degrease wooden surfaces with a lint-free cloth dampened with Methylated Spirit if required
Previously Painted Wood
- Newly painted wood should first be sanded to provide a key
- Heavy Duty Extreme Varnish should not be applied over uncured oil-based paint as this may cause discoloration
- Older painted wood, where the paint itself may fail, should be stripped using a hot air gun or a suitable paint stripper, then sanded and cleaned prior to coating with varnish
- When applied over an emulsion / latex paint, it is possible that the varnish could draw certain stains through the paint which were not otherwise visible. In this case a dedicated stain sealer should be used
- Thoroughly clean the surface, removing all moss, mould and lichen, carbon deposits, oil stains and airborne dirt
- Wash the paving with a pressure washer with the pressure between 2500 - 3000 psi and a spray lance, turbo-jet nozzle or similar specialist rotary attachment designed for cleaning concrete. Alternatively clean surface manually with a high strength patio cleaner and a stiff scrubbing brush
- Allow to dry thoroughly
- Clean paving with a suitable Biocidal Wash Treatment with a low pressure sprayer, covering the entire surface and allow it to dry without rinsing it out
Always do a test area before starting any project to assess product suitability and final finish. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the container at all times.
Polyvine Heavy Duty Extreme Wood Varnish can be applied by synthetic bristle brush, roller or spray applicator.
- Ensure the product is well mixed. Do not shake
- On porous surfaces dilute the first coat with 10% water
- Thinly apply 3 coats of varnish using your chosen method
- Allow 30-60 minutes before lightly sanding between coats
- Product will be fully cured after 16 hours but allow 24 hours before full use
Please note: Where a 'dead flat' finish is required, Polyvine recommend that surfaces are first treated with 2 coats of satin varnish and then finished with a thin coat of 'dead flat' varnish. The 'satin' varnish in this range is chemically more durable than the 'dead flat'. This provides a more durable finish than using 'dead flat' on its own for all coats.
Application equipment can be cleaned using soap and water before the varnish dries. Wipe any excess off surfaces with a damp, lint-free cloth. Any dried deposits will need a paint stripper to remove them.
Surfaces coated with Polyvine Heavy Duty Extreme Varnish can be wiped clean with a dampened lint-free cloth or with a dedicated wood cleaner. Never soak wooden surfaces with water or use harsh cleaning chemicals as these can damage or degrade the finish.